never intentionally hurt your furry best friend. But, unfortunately, there may be some hazards in your home that could potentially sicken or even further harm your pet. To protect your beloved pal, make sure to keep the following household dangers safely out of their reach.
PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN XYLITOL
Xylitol is a sugar substitute that can be found in many human foods, including gum and baked goods. It can also be found in many common household items, such as vitamins, lip balms and toothpaste. Unfortunately, Xylitol is very toxic for dogs and cats, and ingesting even a small amount can result in hypoglycemia. It’s important to check the labels on all of the products that you bring into your home for Xylitol and to store them safely out of your pet’s reach.
Most medications are bitter so you might think that your pet would refuse to eat them. But a bored or hungry pet might just chow down on a dropped pill. Unfortunately, many common medications, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (e.g. Advil) and acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) can cause serious harm to your pet. Another hazard that many pet owners are unaware of? Asthma inhalers. Some dogs will mistake these for a chew toy and puncture the container with their teeth. This could release a potentially deadly amount of asthma medication directly into their mouth.
A lit candle can perfume the air with an inviting scent and can also be very romantic. But if you have pets around, they can also be a hazard. A lit candle at coffee table level can be easily knocked over by a wagging dog tail. And a leaping cat could accidentally knock a candle over or cause something to fall into its flame, which could start a fire. In addition, some people believe that the fumes given off by some candles might actually be toxic to pets.
If you are a pet owner who has been searching for a new place to live, please check out our apartments in Atlanta. Not only does our community offer a host of amenities, including a fitness center and a resort-style pool, it is also pet friendly! Call us today to learn more.